Wednesday 25 July 2007

Best Of British



The latest issue of Radio Times has a list of the best British films of all time. Put into categories the British film board have selected the following as the best films of their respective genres;

Comedy: Withnail & I
Love & Romance: Brief Encounter
Social Realism: Billy Liar
Costume Drama: Henry V
Thriller: Goldfinger
War: The Dambusters
Horror: The Wicker Man
For me the list could never be that decisive. My opinions change on a day to day basis. As my friend Baz says it depends what mood you're in and things do seem to change in your life to the extent that a film you once loved you could now loathe.
I would say that the Carry On films are amongst the best British comedy has to offer so I will nominate Carry On Dick. Not sure why this one in particular but I suppose there is a sense of realism amongst the high comic moments of which there are many. It was also the last outing for regulars Sidney James and Hattie Jacques and the last proper performance by Barbara Windsor.
As for romance I don't think you can go far wrong with Gregory's Girl. All right I'm an Altered Images fan so I'm biased towards Clare Grogan but it's the sort of film that could only really be made in Britain. It also gives me hope whenever I feel unloved. The ending is particularly touching.
A Taste Of Honey starring Rita Tushingham was one of the best early 60s films made at a time when social realism was to the fore. It tells the story of a schoolgirl who gets pregnant by a black sailor. A nice little film that doesn't so much educate but inform. There's also great support from Dora Bryan as the girl's mother.
One film that is artistically beautiful to look at is Stanley Kubrick's costume drama Barry Lyndon. At three hours long it may seem a bit of a mouthful but it tells the history of a bit of a Don Juan played by Ryan O' Neal. It's the sort of film I couldn't imagine them being able to make now cos we're all a bit too satisfied with special effects these days.
My favourite film of all time is the Roger Moore thriller The Man Who Haunted Himself . It's hard to say why I enjoy it so much. Perhaps it's cos Roger Moore was a part of my early childhood. As well as being on television in The Persuaders he bought a house near where I lived in North Wales and he shares my father's christian name.

Baz mentioned A Matter Of Life Of Death as being a favourite film of his. It's one of mine too but it's hard to categorize. For want of a war picture in my top films I'll have to go with this. Starring David Niven it's a romantic melodrama set in the war but has a fantasy element too. The scenes set in heaven are filmed in black and white which make the film a sort of reverse The Wizard Of Oz. I don't think Powell and Pressburger ever really made a film quite as brilliant as this again.

Finally I'll have to go for The Company Of Wolves for my favourite horror. It's The Brothers Grimm meets An American Werewolf In London. Angela Lansbury plays grandmother to Little Red Riding Hood. It's spooky and violent and lush and majestic. There's some great cinematography worthy of Jack Cardiff and there's also a cameo from 80s goth chick Danielle Dax as the Wolf Child. What more could you ask for from a film!

So they're my nominations for best British films but you know tomorrow I'll have totally changed my mind. So what's for tea tonight beef burger and chips or...actually that's all I have in. Hmmph!

No comments: