Monday 21 May 2007

The New Girl In Our Class


The new girl in our class is sitting at the desk right next to mine. Her hair is fair and falls quite neatly onto her shoulders while her skin is quite white with perhaps the merest hint of pink; the glow of her rose red cheeks. Her arms are stretched across her desk and her hands are holding onto the front of it. Her legs are tucked under her chair as she leans forward.


I feel she knows I am looking at her. The merest hint of a sideways glance and I face the front. Suddenly an eraser bounces in my direction. I bend down to pick it up and find that she has already gone for it herself.


'Thank you' she says as I hand it over to her. It was hard paying attention to the lesson after that. I couldn't wait for break to be called so I could talk to her. Well, break did come and in the rush to the door I lost sight of the new girl in our class.


As I walked out of the classroom my eyes were suddenly blinkered by two slightly warm hands. 'Guess who?' came the voice. 'I'm sorry but I don't know your name!', I replied, 'I missed the register being called!' My eyes were uncovered at once and I turned round only to find she had gone.

No comments: